1963-ish 1ST288G Restoration

Discussions about Magnavox consoles, tube and solid state, stereo and mono.
User avatar
electra225
Site Admin
Posts: 8980
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:48 pm
Location: San Tan Valley, AZ
Contact:

Re: 1963-ish 1ST288G Restoration

Post: # 30713Post electra225 »

I'd be interested in knowing your cleaning methods used on the transformers. I admire that level of workmanship. I used to do things like that when I was restoring cars, but I was a lot younger then...... ;) :oops: :cry: :roll:
Life can be tough. It can be even tougher if you're stupid.....
User avatar
William
Global Moderator
Posts: 5419
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:42 pm
Location: Hart, Michigan
Contact:

Re: 1963-ish 1ST288G Restoration

Post: # 30714Post William »

Welcome back! When you say refurbished, did you do something other than clean and polish them?? The look better than new.

Bill
BSMet94
Junior Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2026 9:26 pm
Location: Arcadia, CA
Contact:

Re: 1963-ish 1ST288G Restoration

Post: # 30715Post BSMet94 »

I don’t have any serious test equipment, so I don’t do much beyond checking continuity and resistance, and if it’s in range I just clean it up as best I can. In this case the collars were pretty yucky, so I took them off, did a little scrubbing, primed and painted with the same aluminum paint I intend to use on the chassis.

Not pictured, I also have the power x-former a shot of gloss black. I’m just about to the point with the chassis to start putting stuff back in it, but that’ll be next weekend at best since I’m traveling again. I’ve got nearly everything I need.

I’m also replacing the AMP umbilical connector with an equivalent Molex, since I broke the original getting it out of the chassis. The AMP things aren’t made anymore, and it was a good excuse to get a pin extractor and a new crimper. Never pass up an opportunity to procure a new tool or two! 😆

Eric
BSMet94
Junior Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2026 9:26 pm
Location: Arcadia, CA
Contact:

Re: 1963-ish 1ST288G Restoration

Post: # 30716Post BSMet94 »

Okay, looking for ideas here: I hemmed and hawed about whether or not to paint the chassis. There’s lots of pros/cons. That cad plating is slick as snot and doesn’t take paint very well. I don’t like to sand it because I don’t have a good way to manage the toxic cadmium dust. But the top surface of the amp, which catches all the dust and grime had a lot of ugly minor pitting. So I decided to do the soap and water, mild wet scuff with scotch brite that I threw away, prime, and paint.

My one regret with all that is that I obliterated the model and part number stamps. I’m weird like that, but I love the distinctive font Magnavox used for its model number stamps “8601-20” and a different stamp (smaller font) for the part number. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to re-create that on my painted chassis?

My only thought is to get my daughter, who’s into crafting, one of those little Cricut vinyl sticker makers for X-mas and see if she can make me some clear decals. Gotta love those self-serving gift ideas!

Any other suggestions?

Eric
User avatar
stbasil
Hero Member
Posts: 282
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2024 5:29 pm
Location: Wimberley TX
Contact:

Re: 1963-ish 1ST288G Restoration

Post: # 30717Post stbasil »

You could try dry transfer letters, Woodland Scenic makes them for model railroad guys, I plan on using some for a control panel. They have at least two different font styles in various sizes, a sans serif type, and an older style. Here's one example on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Woodland-Scenics ... 000BRJCEM/
Will need a light seal coat of course.

This guy has a very helpful video with a method to apply characters in a straight line with consistent spacing.
https://youtu.be/3WfcD2zpUq8?is=faZa5hyzfDDClFWA
Jack of all trades & Master of none in Wimberley TX
BSMet94
Junior Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2026 9:26 pm
Location: Arcadia, CA
Contact:

Re: 1963-ish 1ST288G Restoration

Post: # 30718Post BSMet94 »

Excellent idea with the model train lettering! I should have thought of that! Thanks.

Here’s the freshly painted chassis, before and after. I’m pretty pleased how well the stamped markings came out. They’re actually more visible than they were before painting!
IMG_3052.jpeg
IMG_3047.jpeg
Eric
Last edited by BSMet94 on Sun Oct 04, 2026 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
William
Global Moderator
Posts: 5419
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:42 pm
Location: Hart, Michigan
Contact:

Re: 1963-ish 1ST288G Restoration

Post: # 30719Post William »

That looks great, Eric. Nice job!

Bill
BSMet94
Junior Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2026 9:26 pm
Location: Arcadia, CA
Contact:

Re: 1963-ish 1ST288G Restoration

Post: # 30720Post BSMet94 »

Before anyone asks, I will not, repeat not, be re-stuffing the electrolytic multi-cap. I did that once before on a 1940s Motorola, and it was a Royal and Ancient PITA. I’ll just be bypassing that thing altogether and running new Nichicons under the chassis.

Eric
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 44 guests