Page 1 of 1

New guy

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2026 1:30 am
by halzg
Hello, new to the forum, not entirely new to old electronics. Recently inherited a GE RC1674a that I have a lot of questions about, looking forward to meeting some folks and learning a lot.


Halzg

Re: New guy

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2026 3:50 am
by TC Chris
Is that GE a tube or transistor device? I've got one out in my shop--sans speakers. Mine's tubes. I'm not at home right now so I can't verify model no. I replaced filter caps when I found it but I recall lots of @#&^%!!! because the chassis were hard-wired together--no connectors to separate them.

Chris Campbell
Another Michiganian

Re: New guy

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2026 11:49 am
by William
Welcome to our little forum, Halzg. I too am a Michigander, and I actually think Michigan holds the record for having the most members on the forum, so thank you for adding to our ranks. ;) :) Look around, read posts, and enjoy what we have to offer, but mostly have fun.

You have one of what I call the wall mount GE stereos and they are a great sounding unit. It should be tube with printed circuit boards. Does it look like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b6fvGRA-Ng

When you get ready to start working on it please start a new thread under "Other Consoles," it makes it easier for everyone to keep track of your thread.

Bill

Re: New guy

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2026 12:36 pm
by halzg
Thanks for the welcome! Yes, that's the rig. Mine is all-tube. From my research, it seems the varation in model numbers (1671, 1672, etc) has to do with the color of the faceplate and speaker grille cloth. I've also seen a variation that has a little "curb" around the top of the cabinet, the way many console TVs did back in the day.

This unit belonged to my parents, and it was "the stereo" when I was a kid growing up in the 70s. It's been in my dad's basement for at least the last 25 years, unused. Now it's in my garage. So having it in good working order is a bit of a sentimental thing for me.

I'll start a thread in the appropriate board shortly!

Re: New guy

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2026 3:00 pm
by TC Chris
Add photos!!

Here's mine. I misremembered about the speakers--they are fixed, not swing-out.
P1070697.JPG
Chris Campbell