"Last Night at the Proms"
Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026 4:48 am
The Proms concerts are a famous, long-running summer music festival at the Royal Albert Hall in London. They were intended to be inexpensive and accessible. The last night is a big party, with balloons and beach balls tossed around. They always end raucously with British favorites, their patriotic songs. The sequence tonight was "Rule, Brittania," "Land of Hope and Glory," "Jerusalem," "God Save the King," and finally "Auld Lang Syne."
It's quite a sound to hear the Albert Hall full of happy Brits singing "Land of Hope and Glory" and hollering in blood-curdling fashion afterward.
That's the last half-hour or so. You can stream it here:
https://www.yourclassical.org/episode/2 ... -the-proms
But I warn you: you'll miss half the effect on computer speakers. I was listening OTA on FM on the big LR system and the big organ's pedal tones were shaking my floor. I was grinning and wiping my eyes at the same time. "Auld Lang Syne" gets me every time.
Chris Campbell
It's quite a sound to hear the Albert Hall full of happy Brits singing "Land of Hope and Glory" and hollering in blood-curdling fashion afterward.
That's the last half-hour or so. You can stream it here:
https://www.yourclassical.org/episode/2 ... -the-proms
But I warn you: you'll miss half the effect on computer speakers. I was listening OTA on FM on the big LR system and the big organ's pedal tones were shaking my floor. I was grinning and wiping my eyes at the same time. "Auld Lang Syne" gets me every time.
Chris Campbell