Farm equipment collectors

Discussions about toys we have besides home entertainment equipment. Cars, boats, vacuums, telephones, Mixmasters, fans, whatever you have.
electra225
Site Admin

Farm equipment collectors

I have a lot of admiration for these guys. I was raised on a farm and have been around much of the equipment they now collect and restore, all of it long obsolete. We think about buying matched output tubes and parts for a changer and think we are breaking the bank many times. The parts we buy costs chicken feed to what these guys have to pay.

I belong to an old tractor forum. One poor guy put a front end loader on his Allis 190XT so he could handle those big round bales they make nowadays. In its day, an Allis 190XT was a big tractor. Nowadays, it is simply an old chore tractor, used for doing light jobs like putting up hay and hauling manure. It has a 426 cid turbocharged six diesel in it. The guy I'm talking about used his Allis with the new loader about ten minutes when it quit running. The injector pump had failed. He put on a replacement, rebuilt pump, which also ran about ten minutes. Locked hydraulic head both times, a catastrophic failure, usually as a result of misuse or neglect. Not covered under a parts warranty. Apparently, a loose frame bolt caused the failure. Just what a loose frame bolt has to do with the injector pump is not 100% clear to me. My understanding is that these tractors were designed to be tillage tractors. One would attach an implement to the three-point hitch on the rear and use that to work the soil. The engine block is structural. It serves as part of the frame that holds the front end on. When you put a loader on the front and try to lift one of those big hay bales, it causes the engine block to flex. That is what takes out the injector pump. Having a loose bolt or bolts elsewhere in the frame makes the condition worse. The injector pump was $2000 each time..... :shock: :shock: I'm afraid I would be too weak in the knees to go for a situation like that.

Another guy found this dad's old combine that was sold when his dad retired. It has been sitting in a fence row on another farm for decades. The engine was stuck, the tires rotted, the hundreds of belts were gone, water in the hydraulic system. Yet the guy gets this thing going so he can harvest five acres of wheat with his dad's old machine.

When I get stuck on a project and need a kick in the butt to get moving again, I read some of the projects these guys are working on... ;) :roll:
A good leader is someone who can tell you where to go, and make you look forward to the trip.

Never allow someone who has done nothing to advise you on anything.
walyfd
Anchor Member

Re: Farm equipment collectors

I remember going to the "put put" shows as a kid.

My mom's family had a farm up to the mid 60s and, when a piece of equipment outlived its usefulness, it was stored in a barn. Lot of it is still there...

Seeing the versatility of a tractor is really amazing. I remember bringing in the hay. Cutting, baling and running the conveyor off the old IH. All the while I died with allergies. Seems like nobody had allergies in my parent's generation.
19&41
Global Moderator

I enjoy this show on RFDTV. Interesting stories nice machines and friendly people.

https://classictractorstv.com/
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-Arthur C. Clarke
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair
electra225
Site Admin

We don't get RFD TV out here on cable. I watch it occasionally online. I like Larry's Diner...... ;)
A good leader is someone who can tell you where to go, and make you look forward to the trip.

Never allow someone who has done nothing to advise you on anything.