What to do with a EMI tape deck ? (early)

Discussions about items used in audio systems. Speakers, amplifiers, receivers, tape decks, equalizers, etc. Tube and solid state, stereo and mono.
Hydrolastic

What to do with a EMI tape deck ? (early)

Hello everyone, a friend has reached out with a EMI tape deck. 50+ lbs, its in a wood case. If anyone has knowledge or a use for it let me know. For some reason there is peeling paint but he assures me it was well taken care of. Hydro
Attachments
20240414_163353.jpg
imagejpeg_2.jpg
electra225
Site Admin

Re: What to do with a EMI tape deck ? (early)

I wonder if it was made by the same EMI that made records? The wood looks good, but I'd say it was poorly stored at some point. You typically see paint peeled like that when it has been damp. You could remove the chassis to see if it is rusted. It looks like a mono tape recorder, and it looks early to me. Maybe a BTR2 per the link below, circa 1947-ish....

Maybe this will help?

https://reel-reel.com/tape-recorder-brand/emi/
A good leader is someone who can tell you where to go, and make you look forward to the trip.

Never allow someone who has done nothing to advise you on anything.
TC Chris
Anchor Member

I'd call it the Emicorder (Emicorda) shown on that site. Looks like a serious device.

Chris Campbell
Hydrolastic

Hello guys, This get interesting turns out the guy that owns this tape deck is in memory care and cannot be asked about its origin. My friend is related by marriage and is helping with the estate. It turns out there is more equipment coming. It also turns out he was in the UK up to the early sixties and was involved with the electronics field then. I identified the unit but told my friend I thought it to be a really early unit since it looks different from the Emicorder even.
Then my Friend asked his wife. She says he was involved in the development with EMI and she says this is a prototype! I am not going to probe further as far as his name or career details to protect his privacy. but I thought I would share this with you. And yes I think we are going to be exploring more details of this tape deck also! So stay tuned. Hydro
William
Global Moderator

Wow, interesting story, Hydro. By the looks of it, it was not stored with care and may not be in good shape once opened up for examination. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Bill
hermitcrab
Anchor Member

What to do with it?... I would restore it, just because of its heritage...I bet it weighs a ton...