RCA stereo TPM12 - 1960

Discussions about RCA Victor consoles , tube and solid state, stereo and mono
Motorola minion
Anchor Member

RCA stereo TPM12 - 1960

Here is a unit I picked up which looked and sounded great after a routine recap, it sold right away. Despite a photo-finish mahogany cabinet and plastic legs - yes it had appeal! RCA mark down model wins over more expensive provincial models LOL!

My customer had it in his antique booth when it stopped after a blown fuse. I replaced it with a 3 amp slo blow version of the fast-acting 3 amp and got a very cheap fireworks show.

One of the two 16-watt audio-output transformers started smoking and lit up enough flame to light a Lonsdale cigar before I pulled the plug. Fuses blow for a reason, fast acting may blow due to fast-on-off-on cycles due to line fluctuations or monkeying with the power switch. I made that- particular assumption when I changed it, lesson learned. Tubes tested OK on unaffected side but weakened considerably on the affected side.
TPM12.jpg
William
Global Moderator

Re: RCA stereo TPM12 - 1960

Not a bad looking unit and it has the same controls and changer as my all-cherry wood deluxe three-channel RCA. I'm guessing the one in the photo is single ended?

Bill
electra225
Site Admin

What caused the output transformer to smoke?
A good leader is someone who can tell you where to go, and make you look forward to the trip.

Never allow someone who has done nothing to advise you on anything.
Motorola minion
Anchor Member

When I went to look at this unit, it was playing fine on FM but a mild red plate spot on the one output tube. The player was in dire need of a cartridge, there was no testing that.

There was no back cover so I could clearly see what I was getting; it was not recapped and I can only guess how often and long it was operated with a tube partly melting down.. :roll:
Motorola minion
Anchor Member

I was able to get the exact RCA original part! Moyers Electronics to the rescue again. I highly recommend contacting them if you need a n y t h i n g like this OEM part. :!:

The installation was so easy, it looks almost original except the date code on this replacement transformer was late 60s!

Once I try the amp out in the cabinet, I will need to deal with bass feedback that affects the record player. This cabinet is not heavy, no back cover and no isolation of the speakers from the changer. The area between the tuner and changer is not supported from bottom of cabinet, so that's where it will go. The amp is rated 16 watts/channel from pp 6BQ5 with 12" woofers makes a lot of sound and vibration which limits volume and ruins our fun. :cry:

One method I used was to glue/screw an interior partition of 1/2 inch MDF between the speakers and central cabinet where the player sits. This was on a 64 Admiral with same issue. It sounded even better, pushing the bass out instead of redistributing and absorbing it within the cabinet. Mass=Bass