Tannoy SGM 12x speakers

Let us know who you are, where you are, what kind of toys you have.
gusfilgate

Tannoy SGM 12x speakers

Hi everyone, I have just joined.
I've not had a good hi-fi for many years, but a good friend of mine dies recently and left me his, which I am trying and slightly struggling to set up at the moment.

Quad 44 pre amp
Quad 404-2 amp
SGM 12X' speakers

I have had success (after a little smoke out of the 44) getting the quad units going, but when I hook up the Tannoys nothing but the tiniest of volumes comes out. Speaker buzz indicated there should be plnty sound coming out but there isn't.

The Tannoys are 8ohms up to 350w teh amp is 8ohms 100w, so as far as my simple mind goes that makes them compatible.
Testing same amp setup with my little Wharfedale CRS 3's works just fine.
What am I doing wrong?

Any ideas anyone?
19&41
Global Moderator

Re: Tannoy SGM 12x speakers

Hello Gus and welcome to the forum. I've just put your post on the forum and someone should be along that can help you with your setup.

Rex
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-Arthur C. Clarke
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair
William
Global Moderator

Welcome Gus, we are glad to have on onboard and happy to help but we may need a little more information.

You mentioned while trying to hook everything up you got some smoke from the Quad 44 pre-amp. Smoke is never a good sign, but you said when you hooked the electronics to your Wharfedale's everything worked ok. Is that still the case? The Quad's will work with the Wharfedale's but not the Tannoy SGM 12X's? If that is the case, I'm guessing your Tannoy speakers have some kind of a safety fuse built in to protect the speakers and it may have protected your amp as well. If you received an owners manual with you gift, I suggest you read through it and see if it mentions a safety fuse. If you did not receive an owners manual I'm sure it could be found on the internet for downloading.

Please keep us posted, and if my suggestion does not work out please feel free to ask more questions and we will try and help you get everything up and playing.

Bill
TC Chris
Anchor Member

If the Wharfedales work fine but the Tannoys do not, that means the problem is in the Tannoys. The electronics are not the cause. If they were, both sets of speakers would sound bad.

Perhaps somebody damaged the woofers or the crossover network that divides high and low frequencies between their appropriate drivers? Or the voice coils were damaged by moisture or heat so they have warped and rub on the magnet pole pieces? No low frequency output would mean only the tweeters working, and a"tinny" sound. And rubbing voice coils usually make a distorted sound, especially at lower volume levels.

Some speakers can be set up for "bi-wiring," which means using separate cables for the low and high frequencies. When speakers allow that, they have two sets of biding posts, and also usually a set of jumpers so you can behave like normal folks and drive them with one cable each if you choose. Look for that too.

Chris Campbell
electra225
Site Admin

Welcome aboard, Gus!! :D :D
A good leader is someone who can tell you where to go, and make you look forward to the trip.

Never allow someone who has done nothing to advise you on anything.
hermitcrab
Anchor Member

I agree with Chris, if you are getting as you say... a wee tiny sound... check your crossover network and then check to see if the woofer is open .... you maybe just hearing the tweeter?...
Welcome to the forum !