B&K model 1077-B TV Analyzer

This is the place to discuss test equipment, how to use it, how to repair it.
Motorola minion
Anchor Member

Re: B&K model 1077-B TV Analyzer

There is a thread on videokarma about how the deflection yokes can cause short or open due caused by the brown poo used to keep windings in place. It described a terminal strip (under chassis?) which you can verify continuity on individual yoke coils.

I have not tried to track down the issue on mine nor recapped it, so maybe I can pick that up again to see what I can offer. I like these, having learned on one (employing it in a televised prank in HS :lol: ), I use a Sencore VA-48 on my color sets. I keep both because the 1077B is especially great for monochrome TV!
electra225
Site Admin

I'm not planning on getting into color TV. Never say never though, right?...... ;) ;)

I got the TV out I was going to test the Analyzer with and got to watching camcorder movies. That is my biggest issue when I go to the shop. I don't always complete the project I started on before I get involved with something else. That worked okay in the auto restoration business, but not so well working with electronics..... :oops: :oops:

I will look forward to your wise counsel, Dave, when I get deeper into both the Analyzer and into the TV project I got it for.... :D
A good leader is someone who can tell you where to go, and make you look forward to the trip.

Never allow someone who has done nothing to advise you on anything.
electra225
Site Admin

I got back on the Analyzer this afternoon. I THINK it works okay. At first, I didn't have any image on the TV screen. I had cleaned all the controls, and had forgotten to reset the video control, and after I figured out where I was, that was corrected. I connected it to the RCA color to check it out. My antenna adapter is not much, but what I got on the screen was acceptable. I have video, audio, and color out of the Analyzer. I then connected the Analyzer to my old black and white 21" Zenith "portable" all tube set, circa 1972 with less than stellar results. I need to troubleshoot the TV now. It hadn't been used hardly any in the last 30 years, but, last I remember using it, it worked well, had a nice sharp picture. It doesn't now. I will add more on the TV board, where I already have a topic started on that set.
A good leader is someone who can tell you where to go, and make you look forward to the trip.

TC Chris
Anchor Member

have you got a DVD player or digital converter to hook up, so you can tell if it's the TV or the Analyzer that's misbehaving?

Chris Campbell
electra225
Site Admin

I hooked up a DVD player to the TV. The problem is the TV. I had a balun on the TV that wasn't good. That was part of it. Then I had the contrast set too high, and the AGC needed a tweak. I still believe I had an issue in the TV like a weak video amplifier or weak IF amp. The background is washed out. The "black and white" is more shades of gray.